Important 2 Minute Zone use information
The school’s 2 Min Zone is causing traffic congestion problems due to the large number of families wishing to access it at the same time. A number of inter-related issues create a safety hazard for students as well as reflect a number of traffic offenses by motorists.
Current issues and traffic infringements
A number of traffic infringements have been observed in the 2 Minute zone which is enforceable between 7-9am and 2-4pm. Infringements are subject to fines. These include:
- Waiting in a far section of the zone, or over-staying beyond 2 min in the zone
- Leaving the vehicle to enter school grounds for any purpose
- Double-parking alongside the 2 min zone area, or 15 min parking area
- Driving at speeds above 40 km/hr in the school zone period 7-9am and 2-4pm
- Undertaking a u-turn on Settlement road, either across the double white line or using a side-street in order to make a turn-around (nb: (The first is a 3 Point demerit, with a $200 Fine and the latter is a 2 point Demerit and $ 70 Fine).
2 Minute Zone Response Strategy
The safety and effectiveness of TGSS 2 Minute Zone was discussed at the March TGSS P&C General Meeting, with an imperative for the need to respond to traffic congestion and student safety issues. In response, a Traffic Management Plan is being developed by TGSS P&C, in conjunction with our school leadership team, Brisbane City Council and the Queensland Police Service. The approach outlined here will form a subset of the school’s Traffic Management Plan as fully outlined in the Zone Management Strategy & Implementation Plan.
How to use the zone – How you can help
New zone use strategy: Staggered pick-up and drop-off times
Brisbane City Council advises that staggered pick-up and drop-off times is a strategy that has had positive impact on road safety and traffic congestion. Our school has nominated the following times for families to consider a later pickup to reduce congestion of vehicles accessing the zone. Please note that school aides have been allocated to supervise students until 3:15pm each day.
- 2:55 – 3:00 pm (for parents with children who have after-school activities by 3:30pm)
- 3.00 – 3:10pm
- 3:10 – 3:15pm
Note: As a last resort, if you arrive at your intended time and there is no available space to pull in – you are recommended to loop around to the right on Bromar–Broadland-Bromwich Sts. and try again.
If you ever use the 2 minute zone in the morning or afternoons, please sign up to become a member of the Zone Network and receive important zone updates.